Narragansett #7, one of the seven townships granted by the General
Court of Massachusetts to those who fought
in the Narragansett War, sometimes called King Philip’s War.
First meeting of Proprietors, November 24th. At a later meeting,
November 26, the Proprietors voted: “that a
meeting house be built for the worship of God, in said town, 36 feet
long, 20 feet wide, and a 20-foot shed.”
1734 External lines of Town surveyed.
1735 Plan of thirty-acre lots surveyed and first roads located.
1736 First settlers, Captain John Phinney and son Edmund landed on southerly side of the Little River.
First child born in Gorham, Mary Gorham Phinney.
First trees felled by Phinneys to clear land for crops.
1737 John Phinney’s first crop: corn, peas and watermelon.
1738 Hugh McLellan and Daniel Mosier came to Gorham.
also voted on November 26 that “William Pote, John Phinney and Daniel
Mosier be a committee to lay out a road through the woods from the end
of Gorham Street to Saccarappa Mills.”
1743 First sawmill erected by John Gorham at Little River on Fort Hill Road.
February 16, Benjamin Crocker, first preacher, was hired for six months at L 3, 10s per week.
First oxen in Town.
November 11, General Court voted one hundred pounds for the erection of a fort in Gorhamtown.
1744 Proprietors held meeting at fort August 28.
1745 Eighteen families in town.
John Gorham’s sawmill on Little River burned by Indians.
Meeting house on Fort Hill burned.
1746 First Indian attack on settlers, five massacred, three captured.
Ten families in town. Some had moved away because of threatened Indian attacks.
Black tongue disease broke out in fort, twenty-five persons afflicted,
four died. Women called upon to defend the fort.
Eleven soldiers provided by General Court to assist in defense.
Jacob Hamblen first tavern keeper.
Gorham settlers wintered cattle and horses at Great Kezar meadow using Indian trails to reach the meadow.
of Proprietors at fort February 26. Captain John Waite, Moses Pearson,
esq. and William Cotton were chose as a committee to consider the
building of a meetinghouse, where to located said house, and how big to
build it. At the same meeting it was voted to raise and assess on the
several rights of land, L 66, 13s, 4d toward building a meetinghouse.
The meetinghouse was completed in 1764.
Edmund Phinney, son of John, instructed children in his kitchen. During Indian troubles, instruction was given in fort.
First bridge across Presumpscot River, connecting Gorham and Windham, at Horse Beef Falls.
1763 Population of Town 432. At this time no houses in Gorham had window glass.
William McLellan erected the first two-story house in Gorham.
Town Incorporated, October 24, population 340, sixty to seventy
families. Narraganset #7 was incorporated as the
Town of Gorham (Captain John Gorham, Plymouth Company
Commander during King Philip's War received
payment with land known as Narragansett #7).
1765 First Town Meeting, February 18. Forty pounds voted for schools.
December, John Green received an order on the Town Treasurer for three
pounds for keeping school. It is probable that Edmund
Phinney and Austin Alden provided some instruction prior to the record of payment to Mr. Green.
1769 Caleb Chase, first innkeeper.
1770 First physician, Dr. Stephen Swett.
New Lights movement gained ascendancy as a result of dissatisfaction
with settled ministry and other church matters.
Houses in Town constructed of logs chinked with moss and clay.
31, a severe hurricane swept through the northeastern part of Town
destroying all in its path from Sebago Lake through Gorham, Windham,
Falmouth and Cumberland.
The Town voted to: “improve John Green as schoolmaster till the money tax is expended.”
Land for old cemetery on South Street donated by Jacob Hamblen. Uncle
Billy’s tomb located in northwest corner.
1772 Population 588
The old brick house, the McLellan homestead, erected on Fort Hill
Road. This is the first brick house in Cumberland
County. Construction was started in 1769.
1775 Population 852
Steven Longfellow moved to Gorham from Portland. He was the great-grandfather of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
June first recorded meeting of Quakers in Gorham. A meetinghouse was
erected in 1805. The Gorham Quakers merged with those in
Windham in 1849 and the Gorham meeting house was sold.
1780 Population 1146
1781 A Free Will Baptist Church Society organized.
1788 December 4, James McCorson designated minister of Free Will Baptist Church.
Town divided into school districts and in each district an agent was
chosen to see that school premises were properly cared for,
that a teacher was provided, had a good place to board and was paid
according to contract. Heretofore this had been a
responsibility of Selectmen.
1790 Population 2244
1797 Post Office established, Samuel Prentiss Postmaster
First Parish Meeting House erected.
1800 Population 2503
1803 Gorham Academy incorporated
The Methodist Society of Gorham, Buxton and Standish incorporated by
Act of General Court of Massachusetts
At Town Meeting it was voted to erect a building of stout timber and
huge pasture boulders to serve as a pound for stray
cattle. This pound was located to the north and adjacent to present
Phinney Park on South Street.
monument erected at northeast corner of College Avenue and School
Street. This monument has been moved several times and now is located
at the junction of Church and School Streets at the northeast corner of
the Congregational Church Chapel.
Building erected to house Gorham Academy, fall semester of Academy
opened September 9. Reverent Reuben
Nason Preceptor. Thirty-three students enrolled.
Benjamin Mosher built on land purchased by his father in 1771 a Federal
Style house now occupied by his descendants at Mosher’s
The former Dewitt Manor on lower Main Street was built by Colonel Tyng
to replace a house that was burned in 1808. The track
of land was purchased by Captain Alexander Ross in the 1750’s. Colonel Tyng married the daughter of Captain Ross.
The first public library in Gorham located in house then occupied by Nathaniel Gould on Main Street nearly opposite Cross Street
1815 First Town House erected on Fort Hill. Town Meeting House built on Phinney Lot.
1817 First town meeting held.
1820 Population 2800
Free Meeting House, later Gorham Town House, now Art Center of the
University of Southern Maine built on lot donated by
Bell in First Parish Meeting House tower cast in Canton, Massachusetts,
by Joseph Revere, son of Paul Revere. Inscription on
bells reads Revere-Boston 1822
July 4, friends of Dr. Folsom gathered to erect in one day a house to
replace one recently burned. This house later owned by
Reverend John Adams, later served as a private school, later owned by a
Tolford, and still later owned by Abner
Lowell and named Lowell Crest.
First organ made in Maine manufactured in Gorham by Calvin Edwards.
Brick school house built just south of cemetery on South Street in what
is now Phinney Park and later served to house fire
equipment. Torn down when high school building erected across the
Ellen Gould Harmon, a co-founded of the Seventh Day Adventist Society,
born on Fort Hill Road, November 26.
General James Irish Built what is known as the Harding House to the
east of Water Street at the junction of
Hall opens a school with 18 students in his shed. It continued for 15
years. The school built nearby in 1895 was named for him.
1829 Oxford and Cumberland Canal open. Discontinued in 1871.
1830 Population 2988
Cumberland-Oxford Canal opens and the first canal boat to pass through
it on June 1st is the “George Washington,” owned by
William A. Rice of North Gorham.
1832 Post Office opens at White Rock but address is East Standish until 1860.
William J. Woodbury purchased from Benjamin Phinney a piece of land
upon which he proceeded to erect a palatial mansion.
This house was so distinctive and elaborate that it came to be known as
Woodbury’s Folly. This house was located
on the elevation just to the east of what is now Barrow’s
1836 First Centennial Celebration, June 10
Elijah Kellogg graduated from Gorham Academy
Gorham Female Seminary dedicated September 13. In 1838 this Seminary
was separated from the Gorham Academy.
1839 Baptist Meeting House erected at White Rock, dedicated June 1840.
Social and Circulating Library established. The books of this Library
were located at one time in the rear of what is now the Gorham
Historical Society on School Street. This Library was moved to the
Gorham Female Seminary and later became the nucleus of the Normal School
1840 Population 3002
cattle pound authorized in Town Meeting in 1805 was discontinued and
provision made for the disposal of stone used in construction.
1841 Free Baptist Meeting House erected at Little Falls.
Free Baptist Society erected a meetinghouse in South Gorham. This
Society maintained service and a Sunday
School as early as 1827.
June 24 Trustees of Maine Mutual Fire Insurance Company voted to
authorize the purchase of a lot of land from Simon
McLellan and erect thereon a suitable office for the company. The
building was completed in 1845 at a cost of
$50. This building is the former Town Office, presently housing the Gorham Historical Society.
1843 First North Gorham School House (“little red schoolhouse”) is erected.
Charter granted and work begun on York and Cumberland Railroad. First
Train reached Gorham February 5, 1851. This
railroad was later known as Portland and Rochester Railroad. Colonel
Humphrey Cousins was first conductor.
In 1893 six passenger trains each way were in operation.
1850 Population 3086
1850 Maine Female Seminary established by Act of Legislature.
Edwin H. Hall is born in Great Falls, later became a world-renowned
scientist, discovering the important
Hall (Electrical) Effect. He taught in the Harvard Physics Department
57 years. He purchased the bell and
belfry at Levi Hall School, now UCC. He spoke at the 1936 Gorham
1860 Population 3253
Post office in White Rock is now changed to White Rock Post Office.
Town meeting March 4, pursuant to an Act of Legislature, a part of the
Town of Scarborough was annexed to the Town of
Gorham, 1,837 acres valued at $40,000.
1866 Baptist Meeting House erected at Little Falls to replace one burned at the same location in 1864.
in memory of those who perished in the Civil War dedicated. This
monument, located in front of the old Town House on College Avenue, was
presented to the Town by the Honorable Toppan Robie.
The Town Clock, donated by Toppan Robie to “the inhabitants of our
village vicinity” was installed in the steeple of the
First Parish Church
The building now formerly known as the Old High School was erected on the corner of Preble Street and South Street.
Gorham Savings Bank opened for business
1870 Population 3351
train on Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad from Portland to Sebago Lake,
September 12. This railroad was known as the Mountain Division of the
Maine Central Railroad.
1871 A Methodist Meeting House on North Street was erected to replace an earlier building.
Great Falls Post office established December 30, and changed to North
Gorham about two weeks later – too many Great Falls Offices
1873 A Free High School was established at White Rock.
A Free High School was maintained at West Gorham, transferred to the
Village the following year and again returned to West
The institution known at different times as Gorham Academy, Gorham Male
Academy, Gorham Seminary, Gorham Female
Seminary and Maine Female Seminary closed after having practically no
enrollment in the previous two years.
Little red schoolhouse burned at North Gorham, arson rumored due to Prohibition feud.
Gorham Normal School established and the Female Seminary buildings
donated to the State. The brick building was
converted to a dormitory.
School property valued at $13,530.70. Expenditures for schools
$5,342.35. Number of pupils 981. Money raised by
taxes for the support of schools $22,497.74
1880 A Free high School was established in Gorham Village and the first diplomas were granted in 1883.
The present Methodist Meeting House on School Street was erected to replace an earlier meetinghouse on College Avenue.
Gifts in support of a public library in Gorham were made by Dana Estes,
born in Gorham, a Civil War Veteran, and publisher
in Boston, Massachusetts
1882 Honorable Frederick Robie elected Governor of the State of Maine. Re-elected in 1884.
1888 Frederick Robie schoolhouse built at Little Falls.
1898 North Gorham power station produces first electric power generated in Gorham.
1890 Population 2888
1894 Female Seminary building destroyed by fire.
School districts abolished. A Superintending School Committee and Town Superintendent of Schools established.
1895 Levi Hall School built at North Gorham
Electric cars from Westbrook to Gorham Village. The occasion
celebrated at Crystal Spring House on Main Street. Free
rides on cars.
The Meeting House at West Gorham was erected by the efforts of the
United Christian Endeavor Society.
was made to determine limits of Gorham Village Corporation, which was
chartered in 1900. This Corporation facilitated the introduction of
Sebago water and electricity to the Village.
1899 Electric cars from Westbrook to Little Falls known as Westbrook, Windham and Naples Railroad.
1900 Population 2541
1901 Sebago water and electricity extended to Gorham Village.
1902 Volunteer Fire Company organized. William T. Libby, first Fire Chief
Hugh McLellan’s “The History of Gorham, Maine” was published by his
daughter Katharine B. Lewis. By popular demand the book
was republished in 1980 and again in 1992.
Baxter Memorial Library presented to Town by Honorable James Phinney
Baxter as a memorial to his father. Baxter Museum
presented at the same time. The museum building was at one time the
residence of Dr. Cary, father of the noted
singer Annie Louise Cary.
1910 Population 2822
1916 Fire destroys Narragansett Block in Gorham Village, a brick shell remaining.
days after Narragansett Block, on October 17th, fire destroys much of
White Rock (Post Office and store, Martin residence, Railroad Depot,
Farmers’ Union store, and a grist mill).
1917 White Rock Post Office closes, a probable result of the 1916 fire.
1920 Population 2870
First Junior High School erected on site of Female Seminary opposite
Old Academy building on School Street.
1930 Population 3035
1936 Bi-Centennial Celebration of settlement of Narragansett #7, now the Town of Gorham.
1937 Old Tannery on Main Street removed.
July 29, death of last Civil War Veteran in Gorham, Benjamin P. Hodgkins, 92, while celebrating his birthday.
1938 Dr. Walter E. Russell purchased the Rev. Thatcher House, built in the 18th century.
Sampson House, given to the Town; original owner was James McLellan, house was built in 1803.
1939 Removal of the Lawyer Little-Lewis House, owned by Mrs. Orion Lambertson. House built in 1805.
November 2, Dedication of the new high school known as the Charles C. Shaw School.
November 29, brick telephone building, at west corner of Cross and Church Streets completed.
1940 April 9 at 2:00 p.m. Gorham dial telephone system began.
1941 December 7 Pearl Harbor Day
1942 Gasoline and tire rationing in effect
1943 Town meeting approved Sunday movies in Gorham
Gorham Health Council formed
North Gorham Post Office closes July 19th.
1945 May 8 VE Day (Victory in Europe).
August 14, VJ day (unconditional surrender of Japan).
1946 Sidney Branson, M.D. began his practice in Gorham; retired in 1982.
1947 October, holocaust in York and Cumberland counties when forest fires swept the areas.
1948 April 1 – groundbreaking for the subdivision known as the Bank Development.
1950 Population 4742
Fire Station moved out of firm barn on north side of Robie Gym, into
old high school on South side of gym. Cupola of old school removed.
May 27 Removal of old Lewis-McLellan Home, built c. 1783.
April 19, at suggestion of Paul Revere Memorial Association of Boston,
Revere Bell at First Parish Church rung for
seven minutes by the Rev. Harrison W. Dubbs and Saul Carson.
1952 February, the Great Snow Storm; turnpike closed; communities isolated for several days.
1953 Gift of $10,000 from ex-Governor Baxter for maintenance of library and museum.
1954 Hurricane Carol, August 31
Hurricane Edna, September 11
1955 Newly organized Congregational Church begun in North Gorham.
First full-time Superintendent of Schools, Dwight Webb.
Superintendency formerly shared with
of Cressey Memorial Chapel in Eastern Cemetery approved by Town;
completed 1958. June 5, dedication of Louis Woodward Hall at Gorham
State Teachers College. Mr. Woodward, teacher for 42 years.
June 13, Gorham High School Alumni Dinner; Class of 1883 observed its
75th Anniversary. Dr. Horatio Card
spoke about early days and recited O.W. Holmes’ poem, “The Last Leaf.”
In J.M. Davis’s history of School, class of
1883 was first in her roster of classes.
Eldon Shute, first Town Manager
April 11, Gorham Savings Bank dedicated new building at present
location on Main Street. Established in 1868; first
housed in brick structure next to Narragansett Block on School Street;
moved into Masonic building in 1904; added
new wing at present location in 1985.
New High School on Morrill Avenue opened.
1960 Population 5767
Last freight trains through Gorham Village; rails removed in 1961.
Gorham Junior High on South Street, former high school, named the
Charles C. Shaw School by vote of the Town.
Campus School on School Street, renamed the Charlotte A. Millett School by vote of the Town.
Files Nursing Home, now Gorham House, relocated from North Street to new building on New Portland Road.
Nathan Elden Warren house, built in early 1800’s, burns, taking the life of Alta Plummer, last White Rock Postmistress.
1962 November 5 new White Rock School opened.
1963 September 4 new Village Elementary School opened. Donald Doyle was the first principal.
November 22, President John F. Kennedy’s assassination stunned the Town; prayers offered.
June 8, condemned by the Town, 60-foot chimney, remains of old lumber
mill, on Ward’s Hill Road, taken down.
Mill built in 1893 by twins Harland and Fred Waterhouse; chimney built
in 1899 by six men in 11 days; 23,000 bricks, 27
barrels of lime, 6 barrels of cement used; mill at peak of production in 1914; last used in 1917.
Railroad bridge on South Street removed.
October 23 Bicentennial Commemoration of Incorporation of Town.
26, new post office opened on Main Street; formerly housed in old
Masonic building. This building was torn down in 2002 for expansion of
the Gorham Savings Bank.
First marked Police Cruiser
Stephen Wentworth first Police Chief
Johnson House on east corner of Water and Main Streets, razed to make
way for Casco Bank and Trust Co.; opened in
1966; became Casco Northern Bank in 1984; later became property of
Gorham Savings Bank.
Retirement of Earle B. Files after 30 years as Postmaster.
Charles Turner and Donald Collelo first full time police officers.
1968 Formation of Gorham Rescue Squad.
Beginning of Town Council-Manager form of government after
more than 200 years of Town Meetings and
July 1, death of Edgar Carswell, pharmacist; town meeting moderator for many years.
1969 June 15, death of Percival P. Baxter; ex-governor and Town benefactor.
1970 Population 7839
1971 St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Church on lower Main Street started construction; large addition in 1985.
1972 Death of Charlotte Millett; founder and leader of Gorham Camp Fire Girls.
Police Department received first teletype machine
1973 North Gorham Library burns. Lost most of books.
One of few remaining covered bridges in the State, Babb's Bridge burned by arsonists.
1974 New fire station at West Gorham.
New Municipal Center at 270 Main Street dedicated.
Demolition of Central Fire Station, adjacent to and south of Robie Gym,
South Street (formerly Gorham High School.
Edmund Hagen appointed Chief of Police.
“30 Birch Lane” housing for elderly opened.
The Rust Farm barn burned and the Town participated in a “barn raising” for the family
1976 New fire station at North Gorham constructed with a library annex.
New Babb’s Bridge dedicated
Fort Hill Park dedicated.
of old train depot; built on Railroad Avenue; moved to Mechanic Street
when new station built, late 19th century. (Housed G.E. Strout’s
blacksmith shop; used for storage by Clark Lumber Co. Torn down to make
way for Shop “N Save Supermarket.)
1977 Brenda Caldwell sworn in as Town Clerk; first woman to hold this office.
of Gorhamtown…A Pictorial History by Gorham Historical Society; in July
autographing by descendants of original families at Baxter Memorial
1978 Baxter House listed on National Register of Historic Places.
September 28, USM Centennial Convocation; keynote speaker Sr. Harold Wilson, former Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Death of Austin Alden, civic and community leader
Death of Carrol H. Wentworth, Treasurer of Gorham Savings Bank for almost 50 years.
School Department moved to Municipal Center from Sampson House on South
Street; all Town administrative offices now
Traffic lights installed at intersection of Main Street and New Portland Road
5, Rodney S. Quinn installed as Secretary of State; served 27 years in
Air Force and on Joint Chiefs of Staff; returned to Gorham in 1969;
served on Gorham Town Council and as State Representative from Gorham.
October 17, collapse of Gambo Bridge; caused by 10-ton logging truck; repaired and rebuilt by August of 1980.
December, Academy Building and Corthell Hall listed in National Register of Historic Buildings.
First Christmas tree lighted at Municipal Center.
1980 Population 10101
“Gorham Station” renovated and converted into restaurant, opened to the public.
Narragansett School opened; dedicated on October 6; USM professor and
state historian, Robert York, gave address.
Death of Rev. Harrison W. Dubbs, pastor emeritus of First Parish Congregational Church
1982 New White Rock Fire Station completed; dedicated in 1983.
Transfer Station for solid waste disposal completed; located on Huston Road.
August, Jody Thomas, first policewoman to hold this position.
Constance Goldman became Superintendent of Schools; first woman to hold this position.
1983 Charlotte Millett School leveled to make space for senior housing.
January 24, formation of “Alden Guild” by John Alden and associate John
Slattery; specialty handmade
Windsor chair; John Alden, direct descendant of woodworker of same name
on Mayflower; purpose to preserve
old skills; uses birch, maple, white ash and pine from own
woodlands; complete with use of old-fashioned
milk paint, varnish, wax and sanding.
Spring, Ridgewood Senior Housing on School Street opened to residents
Mobile Station, at junction of Main Street and New Portland Road, replaced by Cumberland Farms.
December 22, death of Elwood Neal; owner of Neal Funeral Home for many years; civic leader.
death of Dr. Robert Love. Practicing physician for 45 years until his
retirement in 1972; death marked passing of era of house calls, black
bag and payment in kind.
Removal of “Barney’s Shell” filling station at intersection of Narragansett and State Streets.
Traffic lights, South Gorham, at intersection of South Street (Route 114) and County Road (Route 22).
January 14, Woodward House moved to Glenwood Street, stood on lot where
new wing added to Gorham Savings Bank in
15 Chronology of Great Falls, 1794-1934, published; compiled by
Josephine Manchester School; “Great Falls” earlier name for North
Spring, Burger King opened in part of former IGA building on Main Street
outdoor playing fields in back of high school under construction; to be
called the Mason Recreation Area in honor of Helen Mason, who worked
for the Town for many years as secretary to the Town Manager, Office
Manager, Welfare Director and Deputy Treasurer.
October 10, Ben Franklin store opened; located in part of former IGA building
David Kurz appointed Chief of Police.
1986 Gorham’s South Street Historic District was created by the Federal Government. (18 homes)
Town celebrated its 250th Anniversary (May 24-May 31). An ABC’s “Good
Morning America” program was held at the top of Fort Hill. There was a
carnival-type atmosphere at the former Gorham racetrack. There was a
huge parade. The class of 1936 at Gorham High School had an interesting
float with a replica of the old Gorham High School (demolished in
1975). There were graduates of 1936 riding on the float.
Edna Dickey’s book “Fifty Years of Gorham 1936-1986” was published
Robert French displayed some of the artifacts unearthened in the Fort
Hill area. His paper, “The Fort Hill Site: A Study in Frontier
Evolution in Southern Maine” was printed.
March 1 Warren Gilman received the Jefferson Award for his dedication to local public service.
29, Maurice Whitten’s book “The Gunpowder Mills of Gorham, Maine” was
published. The Gorham Historical Society and the Gorham Park and
Conservation Commission shared the cost of the first printing of 1000
copies of the book.
Bertha Willis wrote the book “The Way It Was in Gorham” for the 250th Anniversary.
May 27, Raymond Phinney and family donated the Band Stand in front of the Municipal Building on Main Street.
July, the municipal playground was erected by citizens of Gorham on
land adjoining the Municipal Center and
Gorham Lions Club started the rehabilitation project of the Robie Gym.
Fire Department and Rescue were combined into one department. Robert
Lefebvre became the first full-time Chief of the department.
Cox appointed first full-time Director or the newly formed Gorham
Community Services, later to be the Gorham Recreation Department.
The first paid full-time rescue personnel (Steve Rines, Kandy Lefebvre,
Paul Conley and Robert Bernard) were added
to the Gorham Rescue.
September, the Village Sewer Project was successfully completed.
“Gorham House” a 100 unit elderly housing facility on New Portland Road
was completed and opened.
The Towns of Gorham and Standish entered into a Mutual Aid Agreement and sharing of a fire station and personnel.
1990 Population 11,856.
Gorham Rams Girls Basketball team was this year’s Maine State, Class B, Girls Basketball Champion
Edward Tolan appointed Chief of Police.
1991 August 19th, “Hurricane Bob” dumped over 8 inches of rainfall in less than 24 hours.
Numerous roads and bridges were damaged.
The Town’s area is 51.5 square miles. There are 138.5 miles of
streets. There are five elementary schools, one
secondary school and 2,151 students.
Wayne “Pooch” Drown first DARE Officer assigned to the High School
January, Mrs. Helen Dubbs died at 101 years of age. She was the widow
of Rev. Harrison Dubbs, former pastor
of the First Parish Congregational Church.
1994 July 10th, groundbreaking was started for addition to Gorham High School.
Fall completion of the new high school renovation. A dedication
ceremony was held December 10th at the
Gorham Performing Arts Center (new auditorium at Gorham High School).
Ronald Shepard appointed Police Chief. First Chief to work up through the ranks of the Gorham Police Department.
1997 June 21st, the North Gorham Public Library celebrated its 100th Anniversary.
December 29th the home of Alton Brackett had a fire. Mr. Brackett died in that fire.
1998 200th Anniversary of the founding of the First Parish Congregational Church
30th Anniversary of the Gorham Historical Society.
Great Ice Storm of 1998 started on January 5th with freezing rain
falling for 50 hours. The freezing rain made a thick coating of ice, up
to three inches in places, broke limbs, trees, and power lines
throughout the Town and much of Maine. Many roads were closed for
varying lengths of time. St. Anne’s Catholic Church was opened for
public shelter for almost two weeks. Utility crews from several states
were in town for days helping to restore power and communications.
August 24th, a Class 6 thunderstorm hit Gorham in the afternoon with
torrential rains and winds gusting to over 70 miles per hour. Estimated
damage to the Town was about $1,000,000. The USM Campus had over
$100,000 damage. Fortunately, no one was injured.
New Post Office built on Mechanic Street
1999 Gorham Savings Bank donated 89+ acres of land off Gray Road to the Town of Gorham.
2000 Population 14,141
2002 The Mountain Division Trail was opened in Gorham.
Baxter Memorial Library expanded as a result of citizens of Gorham campaign.
2003 New Gorham Middle School opened on Weeks Road
2004 The barn of the historic Mosher Farm burned to the ground. The house was saved.
Shaw Park, 12 acres on the Presumpscot River between Gambo Bridge and
the train tressel donated to the
Town by Shaw Brothers.
The Shaw Junior High School was renovated into the Gorham Municipal
Center. Town and School administrators
moved into the renovated building, thus reuniting all town
administration in one building
again. The old Municipal Center on Main Street was renovated as the Gorham Public Safety building housing both the
Police Department and the Fire Department.
Gorham Middle School on Weeks Road opened
2006 Auditorium at the new Gorham Middle School dedicated as the Bailey-Wilcox Auditorium
the third consecutive year the Gorham High School Girls Soccer team won
the State Championship; two years in Class B and this past year in
made the Guiness Book of World Records as the most people wearing
Groucho Marx glasses in the same place at the same time (1463).
2007 Groundbreaking for the by-pass between Route 114 and Route 25.
2008 100th Anniversary of Baxter Memorial Library celebrated.
2729 students enrolled in Gorham schools
2009 Bernard P. Rines Bypass officially opened and named.